Monday, February 23, 2009

Oscar Thoughts

I liked the intro, and ended up watching very little of the rest of the show. I would have liked to watch the whole thing, but not as much as I wanted to spend time with Christie and get a decent night's sleep. It was an easy choice, as I just didn't care very much about any of the nominated movies, mostly because I haven't seen very many of them. Sorry, I spent the bulk of 2008 with an infant, and before the infant arrived, my movie buddy had a fetus playing the bladder bongos, so movies in the theater weren't much fun.

There are other factors as well. For one, I'm suffering from age-related pop-culture fatigue. Caring passionately about pop culture is strongly correlated with youth, and I suspect I'm aging out of it. For instance, I couldn't tell you the last time I watched the Grammys.

The other, though, is a little sadder. I remember watching Matt Damon and Ben Affleck win the Oscar for best original screenplay and thinking, "I could do that." While I still am passionate about good stories well told, I am increasingly less convinced that I will someday write that great screenplay, novel, etc.

Like I said, it's a little sad, but I'm okay with it, really.

No comments: