Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Kid transport in the city: stroller or backpack?

Which should Christie and I get for our DC trip, a backpack or a stroller? I've got my eye on a stroller that is supposed to be very light, folds up small, and has a bag available that makes it airplane-friendly.

On the other hand, backpacks are better at dealing with unpredictable terrain than strollers. But I don't know of any backpacks that are particularly airplane-friendly, nor am I sure that my foot is going to deal well with me having the little bit in a backpack all day, whereas a stroller might be a little easier to deal with, and certainly easier for Christie.

All in all, I'm leaning toward the stroller, but I'm still gathering data. Anybody out there have any thoughts?

3 comments:

Heather Piper said...

Mike, I have a baby backpack that Adam will no longer fit into that you're welcome to have. I used it for two summers and it's very, very comfortable. Yay, recycling! If you'd like it, shoot me an email with your mailing addy and I'll get it off to you this week. :-)

cleek said...

As you might imagine, we're partial to the backpack when traveling away from home. They have to hand inspect it, but that's TSA's problem, not mine. Also, strollers, backpacks, diaper bags, car seats, etc. do NOT count against you for carry on items, so you can lug them through airports and on planes without penalty for extra bags. Taking Ella through the airport was much easier in the backpack than it would have been in a stroller; I really like having my hands free to carry other things when we're traveling.

Anonymous said...

I'm gonna third the backpack vote. When the boys were babies/toddlers, I found a stroller to be a constant inconvenience--not just navigating it around people and up and down steps (remember that DC has a LOT of steps!), but also because collapsible strollers are generally not constructed with people my size in mind. I have to hunch over to push the things. (This may be less of a problem for Mike, but then I'm also not an especially tall man. Maybe I just have stubby little arms.)

A backpack, on the other hand, is only an inconvenience when you're taking it off or putting it on--an operation that probably needs two people, at least the first few times. Melissa points out that backpacks are best if you and Christie can switch it off without a lot of strap adjustment--otherwise one person will wind up doing most of the baby-lugging. (Again, maybe less of a problem for you and Christie than for me and Melissa.)

No perfect solution, but I'm saying backpack.

Jack