Monday, April 06, 2009

Yeah, I'm a hobbit.

Since Christie and I are getting ready to take a little trip with the kid, I thought I'd see what some other folks do to handle the challenges of traveling with children. I decided to start by watching a video over at MightyGirl called "Traveling with Children." Every single person started their little bit with, "My husband and I love traveling."

And that's where you lost me.

I do enjoy having traveled, which is not the same thing at all. I enjoy having firsthand knowledge of distant places, of knowing how to say thank you in 8 languages, having had pizza in Chicago, fish and chips in England, sushi in Japan, Italian in New York. I like sounding cosmopolitan and being able to compare the subway systems of New York, London, Tokyo, and Washington, DC. I've whitewater rafted in Colorado, walked naked in the desert, gotten drunk in upstate New York, rock climbed in Arkansas, attended a biker wedding, broken temple rules in Kyoto, and got lost in Oxford (which is not actually very difficult).

But, really, there's a lot to be said for my backyard. Like Bilbo Baggins said, "It's a dangerous business, stepping out your front door. You never know where you'll be swept off to."

No comments: