Thursday, May 21, 2009

Aptitude

Like all Missouri students, I had to take a bunch of aptitude tests when I graduated from high school. It was a decent ego boost, as I tested extremely well in every single area except one: clerical, which consisted of looking at columns of numbers and marking which ones were the same and which ones were different. I tested at about the 5th percentile on that one.

"Fine," I thought, "That's not a skill I'm ever going to want or need anyway."

Guess what I'm spending my day doing?

Again.

4 comments:

cleek said...

diff <(sort file1) <(sort file2)

Mike said...

Not a good application for this particular problem. You know how lazy I am. If there were an easier way, I'd be doing it.

cllek said...

is it a db problem?

Mike said...

Not exactly. Plus it's a one-off deal and a small record set. It's just faster to do it by eye, considering differing price and date formats and that sort of thing.

I'm just whiney.