Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day

This morning, I ate donuts and shopped, this afternoon I took a decadently long nap with the wife and kid. That doesn't seem like how one ought to spend a Memorial Day, but it's how most of the soldiers I've known would have preferred to spend the day, compared to say, tromping through mud/sand on the way to probably get shot at by someone else who would also rather be home with their family. I'd like to say that I did it all in a commemorative way, but I really didn't.

There are days, and this is one of them, when I feel almost absurdly lucky to have the life that I do. People often say that we're standing on the shoulders of giants, but that's not really the case. All the wonderful things that we have were given to us by mere mortals who came before us who were in turn building on the things given to them by the human beings who came before them.

It's easy to feel like things are going to hell when you watch the news and see the horrible things we do to one another. But when you look back just a few hundred years, it's undeniable that we are freer, healthier, and better off now than then. And I'm not just talking about the developed world, although it's more visible here. There are certainly pockets of hell on Earth, but over all, we've clearly progressed as a race.

So, life is good.

No comments: