Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Milestones

They're not all sweetness and light. Our 4 year old niece, for example, has long had a wonderful imagination, but she's only just now begun to realize that she can apply that imagination to try and get things she wants. Yeah, she's been telling silly stories, and exaggerated for dramatic effect, and sometimes her answers to "so, what did you do this weekend?" stretch the limits of plausibility, but it's only in the last few weeks, that we've had to start checking up on her when she says, "My mom said it was okay."

Just this weekend, our little girl reached a similar milestone. I came into the bathroom just as Christie was enforcing the "no standing in the bathtub" rule. As soon as Chipmunk saw me, she said, "Dada?" in this questioning voice that, I swear, translated as, "Do I really have to do what the crazy lady says?"

The answer, of course, was "Yes, your mother is right." I'm thinking of getting it as a tattoo. Might save time.

And then there was last night. She woke up crying in the middle of the night, and after a suitable period of time, I came to get her and help her get back to sleep. I started to pick her up, then saw her pacifier on the floor. So I left her in her crib and bent down to get the pacifier. "Dadaaaaaa!" she screamed, with all the sense of betrayal she could possibly muster. She might as well have just ripped my heart out of my chest and stomped on it.

Clearly, she's coming along right on schedule.

No comments: