Friday, July 24, 2009

Pass/Fail on Healthcare

I keep seeing these articles that describe the future of healthcare as binary. Either it passes, and Dems bask in success, or it fails, and Republicans milk that victory to gain some seats back.

But there's a third option that's quite possible: Republicans successfully stop healthcare reform yet again, and voters punish them for it. Our rep, for example, is a Republican who has, like the rest of them, done absolutely nothing for his constituents. If his only accomplishment after two years is having killed healthcare reform that we actually want and need, what's his sales pitch, exactly?

"Hi, I'm Blaine Luetkemeyer. Remember me? I promised to look out for your interests in Washington. I know you say you want the healthcare system fixed, but I'm so sure you didn't really mean it that I did everything I could to stop it. Please vote for me again, so I can continue collecting a salary for roadblocking people who are trying to get something accomplished!"

1 comment:

Jack said...

Indeed! We just got an e-mail back from Plain Blaine explaining why he's going to be an obstructionist shit no matter what we say.

In the case of health care reform, I think the republicans have a good chance of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.