Friday, July 24, 2009

Where's the next Cronkite?

You know how slow I am to react to things. I like to pretend that it's because I'm incredibly thoughtful and contemplative, so please don't disillusion me if you see me IRL.

What struck me in listening to the coverage of Cronkite's career was that he was actually a pioneer when TV was brand new, and that he helped shape a brand new medium. And this morning my brain suddenly popped while reading yet another "death of traditional news" story. The people who are looking for a new Cronkite need to be looking online, probably at someone from a traditional format (Cronkite did print and radio before TV) who's helping to shape how online news is delivered.

My personal vote is for Josh Marshall, but it may be a mistake to even be looking for an individual.

No comments: