Friday, September 23, 2011

Writing it out

Seth Godin reminds me that I really should be writing every day. So here's my daily brain dump, so I can relax and think about something else.

1. Work - I'm in the beginning stages of testing a new system that might be awesome, if it'll do everything we want it to. I need to make that call, but am trying to glean the info I need without full training in the system, and with only a small subset of the data that I really want to put in there. So it's exciting, boring, and frustrating, all at the same time, which is a hard cocktail to swim in.

2. Kids - Both our kids are finally sleeping in their own rooms. Thing One has been in her own room for years now, but Thing Two has been in our room basically since he was born. We've been sleep training him this month (he's 8 months old), using a modified version of the info in Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child, which has worked really well. He wasn't really sleeping through the night, but we moved him anyway, and as soon as we moved him, he started sleeping through. I think being in our room meant that if he stirred and/or woke slightly during a light part of the sleep cycle, then our reaction would wake him further, leading to multiple wakings in the night. But now that he's alone, he's down to just 1 or 2 wakings, generally at 10 and 4. It's been a huge boost to everyone's quality of life.

And Thing One's having her tonsils out in a couple of weeks. We're hoping for the best and preparing for the worst.

3. House - The yard's a bit neglected, but I've been cleaning the garage on my lunch hours this week, which is a load off my mind. They say a cluttered space leads to a cluttered mind, and I have found that being surrounded by clutter increases my stress level. To extend the metaphor, having a cluttered garage/workshop that I walk through several times a day leaves me creatively blocked, and stressed out on an unconscious level. So it's nice to be getting that cleaned up. It might even have profound effects.

No comments: